HealthSelection criteria for portable medical alert devices
Portable medical alert devices or personal emergency response systems are devices that are catered toward seniors to equip them with a greater sense of independence. What’s best is that these devices provide the much-needed peace of mind to the caregivers. Effective portable medical alert devices are especially helpful as they act as a reliable reassurance in an emergency. Typically, most portable medical alert devices have easy interface and functionalities, prompt response, and sturdy equipment that helps seniors feel safe as well as independent at the same time. While most portable medical alert devices have amazing features, it gets increasingly tricky to choose the best portable medical alert devices out of the lot. Here are some of the things you must consider while picking the most effective portable medical alert systems.
Consider your needs and requirements
The best way to find the perfect portable medical alert device includes identifying your requirements. For instance, if the senior is prone to falls, wearable devices with buttons may work the best. The call for help feature on such devices can help get prompt alerts in emergencies. For seniors undergoing treatment, it is best that you buy portable medical devices with medication reminders and features that monitor health status. Additionally, if the senior is active and someone who drives, the best device would be the one with activity monitor and GPS location detector. Similarly, based on your needs, you can choose to buy devices with additional features like home security, fitness tracking, check-in services and home security monitoring.
Features to watch out for
It is a fact that some portable medical alert devices are more sophisticated than the others. Some of the useful features to invest in include extended range of up to 400 feet, extra back up in the event of power failure, multiple contact options, and extra help buttons at accident-prone areas. You can further base your buying decision on the type of device you may need. You can choose from a pool of waterproof options, wearable devices, and comfortable devices that are non-obtrusive and safe to be worn all day long. Other important features to consider include water resistance, range, mobility, and connectivity.
While this is a crucial factor that can affect your decision, it is essential you look beyond the price of only the device. It is also important that you consider the overall cost of the particular device and avoid devices with elaborate and complicated pricing policies and additional hidden fees. Ensure you look for a brand that does not charge extra fees for shipping, installation, servicing, activation, and repair.
HealthPopular treatment options for Peyronie’s disease
Peyronie’s disease is the result of multiple penile injuries that cause painful and curved erections. It is a rare type of erectile dysfunction and the cause of the same is largely unknown. Many studies suggest that this form of erectile dysfunction may be caused due to a trauma to the penis. Such trauma can lead to fibrous scar tissue inside the penis and bleeding. However, the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Clearinghouse observes that the condition often arises even without any penile injury.
There is no cure for the disease, but it is treatable. One needs to consult the doctor immediately if the symptoms are severe. The doctor may recommend medications or surgery, depending on the severity of the condition. Here are some of the preferred treatments for Peyronie’s disease.
There are a few non-surgical options that can be considered for treating Peyronie’s disease. A technique known as iontophoresis is used to pass weak electrical current that infuses the medication through the skin. Other non-surgical treatments include shock wave therapy that helps in breaking up the scar tissue and penile traction therapy that helps stretching the penis. Patients suffering from Peyronie’s disease can also benefit from gentle penile exercises post treatments, which should be practiced every day for a couple of minutes.
The Food and Drug Administration has approved clostridium hystolyticum (Xiaflex) for treating Peyronie’s disease. The medication includes a series of penile injections that help in breaking the buildup of collagen inside the penis. It is recommended to consult your doctor before taking any medications. Moreover, it is always preferable to take prescribed medications.
It has been observed that a few lifestyle changes can reduce the risk of erectile dysfunctions such as Peyronie’s disease. Some of these changes include reducing the consumption of alcohol, quitting smoking, and regular exercise.
The doctor may opt for surgery only in the case of severe deformity of the penis. Some of the surgical options include enlargement of the scar tissue, shortening the unaffected side of the penis and, penile implants.
HealthBest colon cancer hospitals and centers in the country
Colon or colorectal cancer is a malignant tumor that is formed in the inner wall of the large intestine, that is, colon or rectum. Colon cancer is the third leading cause of cancer in both men and women in the country. Following are some of the best cancer hospitals in the country that can help the patient get treated well:
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center, Boston
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- Cleveland Clinic
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, California
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St Louis
- University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill
- New York–Presbyterian Hospital
- USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Hospital
- Keck Medical Center of USC, Los Angeles
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- City of Hope, Duarte, California
National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer centers are some of the best hospitals with reputed colon cancer doctors and they offer good treatment options across the country. The nearest NCI designated colon cancer centers can be found on their website page. Commission on Cancer (CoC) Hospital Locator can also be used to find accredited hospitals or colon cancer centers near you.
While choosing a hospital or a colon cancer center, the patients and caregivers must remember that it is not just the reputation of the hospital that matters but also the doctor and the team involved in the treatment that is vital, and one must always pick a hospital based on the doctors, their experience with colon cancer treatment, success rate, support services, ratings, location, other patients’ experience and the quality of care they offer.
HealthTop 3 alcohol rehab centers in California
Substance abuse has ruined and claimed several lives worldwide. People get addicted to drugs or alcohol due to a variety of reasons, but the repercussions of leading such a hazardous lifestyle can be fatal. However, there’s a ray of hope for people who wish to retrace their steps back to sobriety; they can check themselves into an alcohol rehab center and begin their journey towards abstinence from drugs or alcohol.
The first step in rectifying one’s mistake is introspection. The individual needs to accept that they are addicted to the substance, and they are willing to seek help to get better. If such is the case, and one is on the quest to find the best alcohol rehab centers in California, here are some of the effective alcohol rehab centers in the state of California.
- Apex Recovery – Apex Recovery Rehab is one of the leading drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers in San Diego, California. The alcohol treatment center accepts the fact that every patient is different, and they need to devise different ways to ensure that the patient is cured of their addiction. This drug and alcohol rehabilitation center offers a variety of programs such as drug counseling, motivational counseling, stages of change, medication management, individual treatment planning, trauma therapy, and holistic healing.
- Sober College – As the name indicates, this place is meant for people who wish to reacquaint themselves with sobriety and are willing to make efforts to do the same. This alcohol rehab center is set amidst the scenic Woodland Hills and has been rated as one of the popular alcohol rehab centers in California. This alcohol and drug rehab center meant for young adults ranging between 18 and 26 years provides everything needed to help combat the addiction, from detox to long-term treatment options, which also include extensive fitness programs and creative arts programs.
- Journey Malibu – The solitude offered by nature can have a positive impact on an individual trying to find their way back to normal life. This lavish alcohol and drug rehab center, nestled on the coast of Malibu in California is equipped with different therapies that are instrumental in helping individuals deal with their addiction. It is an inpatient alcohol rehab center that assures the patients of confidentiality and ensures that they receive the best treatment from a team of experienced doctors and therapists.
Health4 things to look for in a good drugs and alcohol rehab center
It is estimated that more than 21.5 million adults in the country have battled with drugs or alcohol addiction. Although alcohol and drug abuse disorders are hereditary in almost 50% of the cases, environmental factors are equally responsible for the addiction issues. Dealing with substance abuse is very difficult. The process of de-addiction and alcohol rehab becomes relatively simpler if the drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers are good. Here are a few things that should be checked to ensure the rehabilitation center has the most effective treatments.
- Long track records – Look for alcohol treatment centers that have been in the field for a long time. A long track record ensures that the treatment center has been doing good work and has an experienced staff. A rehab center that has a track record of less than five years might turn out to be unethical or opportunistic. Although some may follow ethical business practices, their staff experience might not be very extensive. Some of the oldest alcohol rehab centers are in California, Texas, Florida, and Connecticut.
- Location – Some of the states have the best drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers. This is because these centers have been helping people deal with substance abuse for a long time and have established a good track record. Alcohol rehab centers in California, Arizona, and Washington have been known to be quite good.
- Luxury versus quality – Many drug and alcohol rehabilitation advertise themselves as luxury centers with high-end facilities such as swimming pools, private rooms, and scenic locations. There are many such luxury alcohol rehab centers in California (Malibu), Hamptons, and Pennsylvania. However, luxury facilities do not imply quality rehabilitation. Check whether the rehab center has effective counseling services, excellent staff supervision, and a good staff-to-patient ratio.
- Cross-check facilities – Some patients with substance abuse problems may require help for depression, anxiety, or other clinical conditions. Call the rehab center to ask whether counseling for such conditions is provided along with counseling for substance abuse. Also, cross-check through calls or personal visits to know whether the rehabilitation center has all the facilities that it states on its website. Some inpatient alcohol rehab centers advertise facilities on their websites that they might not have.
HealthEssential tips to choose the right inpatient drug rehab center
If any of your dear ones have been a victim of substance abuse, then you would be keen on finding a good place to help them. In doing so, you would want to get them the best treatment from the best rehab centers available across the country. However, what should be the criteria to help you find and zero in on a good rehab center? Read on to get some tips to find the best inpatient drug rehab centers in the country.
Whether you are looking for inpatient rehab centers in California or an inpatient rehab center in New York, ensure the facility is closer to your home. Even if the inpatient drug rehab center in Florida offers ample of features and benefits, it is useless if you cannot reach it when you need to. If you are in Chicago, it will be essential and advisable to find an inpatient drug rehab center in Chicago. This not only ensures continued care but also helps you reach your dear ones when required within no time.
The faculty at the inpatient drug rehab centers should be one of the main deciding factors when picking a facility. They need to be full of empathy, both to identify with the affected person’s issue and to support during therapy.
Comprehensiveness of therapy
It is not just the substance abuse, but the person’s needs and history have to be considered totally and a treatment must be planned accordingly at the inpatient drug rehab center you choose. Quitting once and resuming old habits will not be difficult for the sufferer if not cared for properly. Hence, one should ensure that a holistic approach to treatment is adopted by the selected rehab center for the affected individuals.
When choosing an inpatient drug rehab center, consider whether inpatient treatment is absolutely necessary, as it does not come cheap. Wherever possible, for instance, if the inpatient drug rehab center is within 50 miles of your residence in Havesue, Arizona, it makes sense to make regular visits than stay there.
Matching beliefs and values
While most inpatient drug rehab centers promise effective treatments, very few live up to it. Each person has a different set of beliefs and reasons for getting into and wanting to get out of substance abuse. It is extremely important that the inpatient drug rehab centers are able to identify and align with this so that the treatment is successful.
HealthTop 3 outpatient drug rehab centers
It is advisable to visit outpatient drug rehab centers if one is suffering from a substance abuse problem that is not severe, but mild, to work towards ensuring a life of sobriety. It is helpful if any patient with a history of substance abuse enrolls in these rehab centers as early detection and treatment will increase their chances of recovering completely from it. With outpatient drug rehab centers that are present across the country, you can also continue being employed at your workplace while undergoing treatment for managing the withdrawal symptoms and recovering from substance abuse; however, this depends on the severity of your condition. Outpatient drug rehab centers help you carry on with your regular routine as they allocate specific times for the therapy sessions during the week.
Outpatient drug rehab centers conduct a variety of programs that have varying formats and levels of intensity. They treat patients through education, counseling, and support networks.
The different types of outpatient rehab programs are mainly grouped into three categories namely—Day Programs, Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP), and Continuing Care Networks such as Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous.
In the following, you can find information on some of the best outpatient drug rehab centers in the country.
Ocean Breeze Recovery Treatment Center
Based in South Florida, the Ocean Breeze Recovery Treatment Center is known to impart treatment on an individual basis to the program attendees. Here, they believe in a holistic approach to help substance abusers wean off their addiction. Some programs at the center include yoga sessions, gender-specific caring groups, etc.
Boca Recovery Center
At the Boca Recovery Center situated in Boca Raton, Florida, the condition of the patients is carefully assessed after which an appropriate treatment plan is charted out whilst keeping in mind their present condition which is similar to the procedures of several other outpatient drug rehab centers.
The outpatient treatment program at this center is designed to assist people in coping with the given situations, without resorting to substances for escaping their distress albeit for a temporary period. The staff at this treatment center are dedicated to helping the patients recuperate from their substance abuse problems and helping them lead a normal life.
Northeast Addiction Treatment Center
Northeast Addiction Treatment Center is located in Quincy, Massachusetts. The staff at this drug rehab center do not subscribe to a single treatment module but a range of curative methods. Like other outpatient drug rehab centers, some activities that patients can engage in during their stay here include meditation techniques, yoga therapy, outdoor activities and several other healing therapies for getting their lives back on track.