Health and FitnessLiver Cirrhosis and its 4 Stages
The liver is an integral organ of the human body. Therefore, the health of the liver directly affects the well-being of an individual. Liver cirrhosis is a degenerative disorder in which the healthy cells get damaged, resulting in the formation of a scar. This, in turn, leads to a reduced functional ability of the liver. A few common causes of liver cirrhosis are excess and long-term alcohol abuse, and infection due to hepatitis virus. According to a study, every year, cirrhosis is responsible for about 31,000 deaths in the country.
A few common symptoms of liver cirrhosis are
- weight loss,
- a loss of appetite,
- skin problems, and
The 4 stages of liver cirrhosis
There are 4 stages of liver cirrhosis, and each one of them can be differentiated on the basis of severity of the disease and complications associated with it. Two important complications associated with liver cirrhosis are varices and ascites. Varices are enlarged veins, while ascites refers to fluid-accumulation in the abdominal cavity. Both of them are an indication of portal hypertension, which is caused due to a hindrance in the blood flow through the liver.
Stage 1 Cirrhosis
This is the stage when neither varices nor ascites occur. However, the liver is in a damaged condition, it is not very severe. The affected individual may feel extremely tired or may experience a lack of energy to carry on regular work.
Stage 2 Cirrhosis
In the second stage, portal hypertension worsens and varices develop in the esophagus. However, this stage can be partially reversed if the causes are known on time and an urgent medical help is provided.
Stage 3 Cirrhosis
In this stage, ascites develops and varices may be present. This stage is irreversible and generally requires a liver transplant.
Stage 4 Cirrhosis
Among the 4 stages of liver cirrhosis, this indicates an end-stage liver disorder. In this stage, the varices of the stomach and esophagus rupture and cause intestinal bleeding, which is an immediate danger to life. A liver transplant usually the only option here.
How to Deal With Liver Cirrhosis
If you have been diagnosed with any of the 4 stages of liver cirrhosis, here are a few strategies that you may need to follow:
- Avoid excess alcohol consumption
- Take multivitamins regularly
- Avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication as they can worsen the situation
- Go for a liver transplant, which is the last resort
Health and FitnessMajor Health Disorder Signs Indicated by Breast Pain
The left side of your body has a number of important organs. Just under and around the left breast there are organs such as the spleen, stomach, pancreas, and large intestine. If you experience pain on the left breast, it could be a sign of something seriously wrong in your body. Let’s have a look at some of the issues that could be indicated through left breast pain in women.
- Heart attack
The heart is located around the center and the left side of the chest. Because of this, whenever women experience pain in their left breast, they think that it may be an indication of a heart attack and why shouldn’t they? The leading cause of death among the entire population is a heart attack. Tightness, squeezing, or pressure on the chest is an indication that you might be having a heart attack due to left breast pain.
The pericardium is the thin two-layered membrane that surrounds the outer part of the heart. You may experience a pain when this membrane rubs against the heart. Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardium. It can be caused by numerous autoimmune diseases. Some of them are preventable, others are not. One of the main indications that the left breast pain in women is pericarditis is a stabbing and sharp pain in the chest.
- Precordial catch syndrome
A precordial catch syndrome occurs when the nerves of the chest wall become irritated. This mainly happens in young adults and older children. This can happen due to a bad posture or an injury to the chest. It can mimic some of the signs of a heart attack. However, if the left breast pain in women is due to precordial catch syndrome, then this condition might get resolved on its own.
Pleurisy happens when the membrane that surrounds the lungs inside the chest cavity becomes inflamed and irritated. Some of its common causes could be a viral infection, bacterial infection, or flu. You will feel a stabbing pain in and around your left breast when pleurisy happens.
As stated earlier, some of the most important organs are there on the left side of the chest. So, whenever you feel pain on the left breast, you should take immediate action by consulting a doctor in order to prevent anything severe.
- Heart attack
Health and FitnessHealthy Food Options for People with Kidney Diseases
Each organ in our body has its own importance. We may not understand the importance of the organ unless it fails to function properly. For example, it is only when you develop kidney-related problems that you will understand how painful the process can be. Even though you will need medical attention from your health care provider to deal with kidney-related diseases, a change in the diet plan will also help you heal better. The doctors also recommend kidney diet plans that will ensure a speedy recovery in the process.
Some of the important ingredients of a kidney diet plan have been mentioned below:
- Cauliflower: One of the important ingredients of a kidney diet plan that helps in the speedy recovery of the disease is cauliflower. It contains Vitamin C, K, and B. It has anti-inflammatory compounds that can take away the swelling in your kidney. If you are fond of having mashed potatoes as a side dish, the use of mashed cauliflower will easily help in replacing the high-carbohydrate diet and will be beneficial for your kidney too.
- Blueberries: We all love the use of blueberries in cookies and smoothies of our choice. But did you know that these berries are filled with antioxidants that can help in the recovery of the kidney? It has a low level of sodium, potassium, and phosphorus that should be avoided when you have any kind of kidney problems.
- Sea bass:
Sea bass is full of Omega-3 fatty acids that are helpful for the healthy working of the body. It can help in reducing inflammation to a large extent. Even though it is high in phosphorus, the other properties of sea bass will help in compensating for the loss due to kidney issues. You can have the fish in a controlled portion, once in a while. For example, if you use 3 ounces of sea bass in a day, it will not cause much harm to you.
- Red grapes:
This royal fruit is rich in Vitamin C and contains antioxidants that help in recovering from the problem that you are facing in your kidney. It is one of the best-recommended items included in the kidney diet plan by the doctors. You can have about half a cup of red grapes every day for fighting with the infection in a better way.
Health and FitnessReasons to Do Dental Teeth Whitening
The whitening of the teeth or dental teeth whitening is a very commonly known and practiced phenomenon. It is done because the enamel layer of one tooth or multiple teeth starts to erode due to time or other issues such as a dental cavity and other dental problems. Irrespective of what the problem is, if someone wants to get their teeth whitened, then modern technology makes it very easy for you to go for it. Yellowish teeth do not create a very good impression on people, and that is one of the reasons why people decide to do it. Some other reasons why people would go for dental teeth whitening are as follows:
- To remove stains – The stains on the teeth caused by food items like soda, coffee, or other things like smoking or wine can be removed by a dental teeth whitening process.
- To aid in smoking cessation – If an active smoker is trying to give up smoking but is finding it stressful and hard going, then he or she can have their teeth whitened. It would be a step towards achieving their goal. They would not want to spoil their new white teeth with cigarette stains on them, and it would be dually beneficial.
- For special occasions – Often, there are events like a wedding, job interview, or even a class reunion where people want to look their absolute best. That’s when they opt for a dental teeth whitening session.
- Before job interviews – A bright and white smile goes a long way to uplift one’s confidence, and it would help to create an excellent first impression when someone is going for a job interview or any other kind of interview.
- To boost confidence – Yellow teeth can often cause a lot of embarrassment. On the contrary, the self-esteem of a person increases manifold when they have a great smile and white teeth.
The ones who are wise enough to invest in a better smile are also known to have better oral hygiene and they maintain such standards for a pretty long time. The fact that these patients care about the look of their teeth and their overall dental health makes them invest time in brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly. These steps are the best-known ways to improve one’s oral health and prevent diseases while whitening his or her teeth simultaneously.
Health and Fitness8 Possible Causes of Itchy Skin
What is itchy skin?
Itchy skin is an uncomfortable sensation whose behavioral response creates a scratch reflex. This skin condition can appear in any part of the body and usually comes with symptoms like redness, dryness or scaly texture. Prolonged itchy skin may also lead to infection and skin injury. If the condition persists for more than two weeks, it is advisable to visit a dermatologist.
Causes of itchy skin
Causes of itchy skin can vary from infections to allergies and skin and medical disorders.
- Dry skin – Skin dryness can be caused by weather change, exposure to chemicals, and reaction to certain medication or bathing habits. This itchy skin with no rash condition can be treated by application of moisturizers, as lotions or creams and bathing with moisturizing soap. Drinking ample water to keep skin hydrated is very important.
- Food allergy – This allergy is caused when the body’s immune system doesn’t cope with inappropriate substances in food or drinks. Following this, rashes can develop on the skin causing itchiness. Some foods that people may be allergic to are seafood like prawns, dairy products, and soy products. The treatment is to identify the possible cause of the problem and avoid consuming those foods.
- Insect bites – Insect bites can cause injection of certain acids into the skin, thereby causing immediate swelling, rashes, and itchy skin. Application of ointments can reduce itchiness and redness.
- Varicella – Chickenpox, or varicella, is a contagious disease caused by varicella roster virus. It causes a typical skin rash that forms small, itchy blisters, which tend to scab over after few days.
- The final stage of renal disease – Due to the inability of kidneys, the body tends to retain waste material in it, thereby causing an itchy skin among various other problems. The common symptoms include ulcers and butterfly-shaped rash on face, which may worsen with sun exposure.
- Biliary – This is caused by injury to gallstones, gallbladder or liver resulting in the extremely itchy skin along with yellowing of urine, skin, nails, and eyes. This can cause further infection.
- Eczema – Eczema is a group of diseases that cause inflammation of the skin, typically with itchy skin and red rash. It can be treated with steroid creams.
- Hives – It is an inflammation which is caused by the release of histamine, a chemical in the body. This secretion results in small blood vessels to leak which causes the skin to swell. Exposure to sun and extreme weather and allergies trigger the condition and cause itchy skin with blisters and small bumps.
Health and FitnessCauses and Prevention of Pain in the Bottom of the Foot
Our feet are made up of small bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Slightest of injury or pain in the foot can cause a significant problem in walking around or even stepping down from the bed. The change in lifestyle has reduced physical activities to a large extent. We prefer using a mode of transport to get from one point to another. Since there is no way of relaxing or exercising the feet, it may rupture with a slight jerk or injury. Sometimes people complain of the bottom-of-foot-pain constantly. It can be due to many reasons.
What are the causes of heel pain?
Sometimes, when you put too much pressure on the foot by exerting it beyond the scope, it may lead to problems in the plantar fascia ligament. It is the largest ligament in the foot that is the root cause for the bottom-of-foot-pain. The problem occurs when the ligament is ruptured irreversibly, and it is known as plantar fasciitis. In some cases, people may stumble on an uneven surface and not pay attention to the foot for a long time. Your foot may have a sprain or strain that is left unattended and may cause the bottom-of-foot-pain. Other probable causes include Achilles tendonitis and reactive arthritis.
When to contact the doctor?
Generally, most of these problems can be reversed if you give an ample amount of rest to your feet and massage them gently so that the blood circulation increases to ensure that it gets healed eventually. In other cases, it is best to contact a doctor in case of the bottom-of-foot-pain. Some of the common reasons for visiting the doctor in this regard include:
- If you are in severe pain
- If you observe redness in your heel
- If you have extreme trouble in moving around
- If the pain has increased suddenly
How to treat the problem?
The best way to treat this problem is to give it rest. You can rest your foot with the help of a cushion under your feet for support. Taking the prescribed medication for arthritis will also help you in the long run. If the pain is too severe, then you must go for surgery with the recommendation of the doctor. But in most of the cases, the problem is usually solved with the help of medication and proper relaxation of the foot for some time.
Health and Fitness5 Common Causes of Double Vision
Normally, most people neglect their eyes when they function well. However, there is a complex process that goes on in order to make your eyes work smoothly. If there is any sort of dysfunction in any of the components of the eyes, then you may start panicking because you may start seeing things double. Well, this is a serious issue and be sure to visit an eye doctor promptly in order to prevent any serious damage to your eyes.
Here are certain causes of double vision that you should be aware of.
Head injuries are one of the main causes of double vision. If you have suffered a head injury, you might start seeing things double for some time. You must see an eye doctor, where he or she may recommend you to visit a neurologist or neurosurgeon for further treatment.
Keratoconus or a cone-shaped cornea or corneal dysfunction could be one of the causes of double vision. These ghost images are very hard to manage. However, your eye specialist might be able to help you to figure out the exact treatment for this issue.
When you have undergone a refractive surgery such as LASIK or PR which will help you to see better without glasses or lenses, you may start having double vision due to the changes in the cornea. An irregular corneal surface might scatter the light rays without focusing appropriately.
Many people who suffer from dry eyes can have double vision due to low-quality tears. Those who suffer from dry eyes could get relief with an eye drop, eye vitamins or a combination of all these.
Cataracts are one of the primary causes of double vision. Because of the clouding in front of the natural lenses, the light could get scattered around. This will inevitably lead to double images or a ghost vision. However, you can eliminate this issue with the help of a cataract surgery.
Double vision could be a sign that something abnormal is happening in your brain and nervous system and therefore, it requires the attention of a doctor. He or she may ask you to undergo a complete eye evaluation in order to find out the actual cause of the problem, and subsequently suggest the right treatment plan.